WINNIPEG, MB. - A traffic stop of a Winnipeg Taxi resulted in police charging two males with multiple charges including possession of a sawed off rifle.
Police stopped a taxi early Wednesday morning, around 12:10 a.m., near Salter Street and Dufferin Avenue.
While speaking with the driver, police noticed that a male in the backseat had, what appeared to be, a firearm protruding from a bag. He was placed under arrest and taken into custody. Police also found a can of bear spray and a sawed off .22 calibre rifle that was located in the back seat along with three rounds of ammunition.
Police said they have charged Derrick Scott Coutu, 38-years-old, of Winnipeg with;
- Possess Weapon
- Transport Firearm or Restricted Weapon Contrary to Regulations
- Carry Concealed Weapon, Prohibited Device or Ammunition
- Possession of a Firearm Knowing its Possession is Unauthorized
- Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm in Motor Vehicle
- Possession of a Prohibited or Restricted Firearm with Ammunition
- Possession of a Firearm, Prohibited or Restricted Weapon Obtained by Crime
- Possession of Firearm, Restricted Weapon or Ammunition Contrary to Prohibition Order X8
- Possession of a Prohibited Device or Ammunition Knowing its Possession is Unauthorized
Kevin Klein, Manitoba Post