WINNIPEG - A number of robberies have occurred lately stemming from classified ads posted online that Winnipeg Police are investigating.
Police want to remind people that online sales allow criminals to remain anonymous while taking advantage of unsuspecting buyers and sellers.
The following crime prevention tips were provided by police:
- Ask for a photo of the serial number before meeting and attempt to confirm the item hasn't been reported stolen
- Don’t give out personal information
- Google the buyer/sellers name
- Ask about the history of the item being sold
- Meet during daylight hours
- Make arrangements to meet in the public place equipped with surveillance cameras
- Do not transfer/provide money to the person before receiving the product
- Do not meet someone alone
- Use generic photos
- Follow your gut - if something feels wrong, it probably is