WINNIPEG, MB. - A 22-year-old Winnipeg man driving a stolen vehicle speeds away from police but is tracked down by Air 1.
Tuesday, January 9, around 11:30 p.m., police spotted a stolen, newer model, Audi A6 sedan travelling in the area of Salter Street and Selkirk Avenue.
The driver began to drive at a high rate of speed so police did not pursue the vehicle, but Air 1 became involved quickly.
The car was tracked by AIR1 to the intersection of Keewatin Street and Gallagher Avenue West at which time police successfully deployed a tire deflation device. The car came to a stop on Ross Avenue and the driver fled on foot, but was quickly captured and arrested.
Police charged Rolly Allen Baptiste, a 22-year-old male of Winnipeg, with:
- Driving While Disqualified
- Dangerous Operation of Motor Vehicle
- Possession of Property Obtained by Crime over $5,000
- Fail to Comply with Probation Order (x3)
- Drive suspended/while disqualified (Highway Traffic Act)
Kevin Klein, Manitoba Post