Motorcyclist Dies in Collision, Driver & Passenger Flee the Scene

Motorcyclist Dies in Collision

WINNIPEG - Police are asking for help locating the driver and passenger of a van that struck and killed a motorcyclist on Portage Avenue Saturday afternoon.

The accident occurred at the intersection of Portage Avenue and Home Street just after 2:00 PM. It forced the closure of Portage Avenue for a few hours.

Motorcyclist Dies in Collision, Driver & Passenger Flee the Scene

Police said the motorcycle was travelling westbound on Portage Avenue when it collided with a van travelling north on Home Street. The driver of the motorcycle was take to hospital in critical condition, however he has since died from his injuries.

The unidentified driver of the van and a passenger fled the area on foot. A number of people came forward and offered assistance to the driver of the motorcycle.

Police are asking anyone who may have witnessed the collision or have information concerning the incident to call police at 204-986-7085 or Crime Stoppers at 204-786-TIPS (8477).

TOPICS:   Winnipeg News

1 comment

  • whowantstoknow

    HI Kevin,

    I'm a little confused by the details of this accident. All the news articles I have read and even the Winnipeg Police's own press release says this accident happened at approx. 2:15 PM on June 2nd. 

    But the time of the accident is questionable. Firstly, I passed the scene at about 2:24 PM on June 2nd on my way to an event downtown. I was a passenger in a vehicle travelling Eastbound on Portage in the median lane. I know the time because my driver  looked at her watch. We were in shock as we passed the scene because as we approached, there was a firetruck blocking Westbound traffic and we could see the van all smashed and debris on the road in front of it, but we didn't expect to see the severely crumbled motorcycle behind it as we passed. I was personally horrified and knew the motorcyclist was likely killed instantly or certainly wouldn't survive very long if he was still alive.

    But all the witnesses were gone, there were no victims on the scene, and no ambulance. So while it was a fresh accident, and while it is possible, I suppose, but not likely, that the ambulance both arrived and whisked the injured person away in the space of 9 minutes, despite the fact that we heard no sirens, it is not possible for the police to interview all the witnesses in 10 minutes. Even 24 minutes from 2:00 PM, there would not have been enough time.

    Secondly, the Police Dept's own tweet, which you have shared, is time-stamped 1:00 PM, saying that emergency crews are on the scene. How could they be attending to an accident that hasn't happened yet? 

What do you think?

Your comment