Carbon Monoxide Close Call

Carbon Monoxide Close Call

WINNIPEG - The Fire Paramedic Service is warning Winnipeggers about the dangers of carbon monoxide after a close call in St. Vital.

Four residents of a home on Maralbo Avenue East were taken to hospital in stable condition after portable carbon monoxide alarms with fire paramedic crews went off. Monitors detected 80 parts per million.

Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless and tasteless gas produced by the combustion process. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are flu-like and include nausea, dizziness, confusion, vision and hearing loss but no fever. Carbon monoxide poisoning can be fatal.

To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Never idle vehicles in an attached garage, even if the door is open.
  • Have fuel-burning appliances such as furnaces, wood-burning fireplaces and gas dryers cleaned and checked annually by a qualified service technician.
  • Ensure all fresh air intake vents, exhaust vents and chimneys are clear of snow, insulation, leaves, bird nests, lint and debris.
  • Make sure wood stoves are properly installed and vented.
  • Don’t operated gasoline-powered engines, charcoal or propane barbecues and grills or kerosene stoves indoors or in enclosed spaces.

TOPICS:   Winnipeg News

If you like this, you may like these...

What do you think?

Your comment