Malfunctioning Dryer Causes Fire on Vincent Street

Malfunctioning Dryer Causes Fire

WINNIPEG - Winnipeg Fire and Paramedics are reminding residents to make sure that their dryers are in good working order after responding to another fire caused by a malfunctioning dryer.

On January 2 at 7:00 pm fire crews responded to a side-by-side multi-family residence on Vincent Street that had reports of smoke coming from the home. The fire was quickly extinguished but while the fire was contained to the dryer, extensive smoke damage occurred throughout the rest of the house.

No one was hurt in the fire.

Fire investigators determined a malfunction involving the dryer drum as the cause of this fire. This incident serves as a good reminder to residents to never run their dryer while away from their home. Damage from this fire was minimized because residents were home and able to call 911 before the fire extended beyond the interior of the dryer.

In 2017, WFPS responded to 11 dryer fires. Residents can reduce the risk of these types of fires by following these important tips:

Have your dryer installed and serviced by a professional to ensure it is in good working order.

Do not use the dryer without a lint filter and always clean the filter after each load of laundry.

Periodically check the venting system to ensure there is no lint buildup and it is not damaged, crushed or restricted.

Make sure the outdoor vent flap opens when the dryer is running.

Never leave a dryer running when leaving your home.

TOPICS:   Winnipeg Fire

What do you think?

Your comment