WINNIPEG - It’s all hands on deck this week as the Assiniboine Park Zoo puts the finishing touches on Polar Town and prepares to welcome visitors to the opening weekend of Zoo Lights Festival presented by Red River Co-op. The after hours, ticketed event will run over the course of 32 nights between November 30, 2019 and January 5, 2020.
To celebrate opening weekend, the first 200 visitors on Saturday, November 30 and Sunday, December 1 will receive complimentary passes to visit the Assiniboine Park Zoo during daytime hours of operation.
Here’s what visitors have to look forward to during 32 nights of Zoo Lights!
LIVE MUSIC & ENTERTAINMENT
· an incredible live music schedule that includes Odder than the Otters, Sheena Rattai, The Perpetrators, Andrina Turenne, Two Crows for Comfort, the Dirty Catfish Brass Band and more
· themed nights hosted by the Village Idiots, West End Cultural Centre, Times Change(d), Winnipeg Folk Fest, Folklorama, and Pride Winnipeg
· late night outdoor parties at the Tundra Grill Ice Bar with live DJs and dancing on Saturday, December 7, 14, 21, 28 and January 4 plus New Year’s Eve
HOT EATS AND TASTY TREATS ($)
· perogie poutine, salted caramel mini donuts, apple cinnamon waffles on a stick, s’mores and other tasty treats at the Tundra Grill and Winston's Snack Shack
· Faraci Foods and Beaver Tails food trucks
· a selection of curated hot and cold cocktails for grown-ups
GREAT GIFT SHOPPING ($)
· Third + Bird mini-market Thursday through Sunday from November 30 to December 22
· Wild Things Unique Gifts will be open at the Zoo entrance with an amazing selection of holiday gifts plus fun Zoo Lights Festival souvenirs
FAMILY FRIENDLY FUN AND GAMES
· activities hosted by FortWhyte Alive, Winnipeg Winter Club, Manitoba Conservatory of Music and Arts, Manitoba Children’s Museum, the Winnipeg Goldeyes Baseball Club and others
· entertainment by Teakle Family Circus, Kurrent Motion, 100 Decibels and more
· family-friendly dance parties with Mama Cuttsworth
· meet and take a photo with Santa from November 30 to December 23
· caroling, bingo nights, mini golf, salsa and swing dancing, princess parties, and more
Tickets for Zoo Lights Festival can be purchased in advance or at the Zoo entrance.
· $12 + GST online or at Red River Co-op locations
· $15 + GST at the Zoo entrance
· $30 + GST three-day passes available online, at the Zoo entrance, or Red River Co-op locations
Single tickets can be used on any event night between November 30 and January 5. Three day passes are valid for use on three separate nights. Children two years of age and under do not require a ticket.