International Snow Leopard Day is Tuesday, October 23rd and this weekend the Assiniboine Park Zoo will be hosting a Snow Leopard Weekend to celebrate this incredible species and create awareness about snow leopard research, education and conservation.
To celebrate Snow Leopard Weekend, the following activities will take place in the Zoo Saturday, October 20 and Sunday, October 21:
· Activity stations – Visitors can participate in the interactive activities located near the snow leopard enclosures to teach visitors about snow leopard adaptations and ways to help protect them.
· Photo Station – Pose with snow leopard props and take some photos!
· Zoo Chats – Join our snow leopard keeper talks at 11 am and 2 pm on both Saturday and Sunday and watch the snow leopards get special treats.
· Craft Station – Check out our make and take cat toy station (donations welcome).
· Gift Shop – Place a bid at the Wild Things Gift Shop on a beautiful framed snow leopard painting created by our very own snow leopards! Proceeds raised will be donated to the Snow Leopard Trust.
“We are excited to be hosting the third annual Snow Leopard Weekend at Assiniboine Park Zoo,” said Allison Ginsburg, Assiniboine Park Zoo Curator. “Snow leopards are a vital part of the Himalayan ecosystem as one of the top predators and are also an endangered species. We are committed to conservation efforts within the zoo community, in the wild, and by educating our visitors on what they can do to help make a difference.”
Assiniboine Park Zoo is open daily from 9 am to 4 pm. Plan your visit here,http://www.assiniboinepark.ca/zoo.