WINNIPEG - The May Long weekend was a violent one for members of the Winnipeg Police Service. Between Friday and Monday there were seven separate incidents where officers were assaulted and one incident where officers were threatened.
- On Friday at 7:50 p.m., a 24-year-old resident at the Main Street Project assaulted 2 Cadets. They were not seriously hurt and officers responded to assist. The man was charged with Assault Peace Officers and directly detained at the Winnipeg Remand Centre due to his violent behaviour.
- On Saturday, shortly after 3:00 a.m. an officer was leaving HQ at 245 Smith. He observed two males assaulting a third male. He attempted to intervene at which time one of the suspects armed himself with a bottle and the second suspect threatened the officer with a machete. He identified himself as a police officer but the suspects continued to threaten him. The first victim safely retreated and the officer was able to get back to HQ. General Patrol units in the area arrested the two adult suspects. Both were charged with Assault Peace Officer and detained in custody.
- On Saturday at 5:00 a.m. General Patrol officers responded to a domestic situation in the Point Douglas area. An adult male was brandishing a hammer and knives when police arrived. As the suspect was being taken into custody he attempted to choke one of the officers. He was ultimately restrained and the suspect was charged with Assault Peace Officer and detained in custody. The officer did not require medical attention.
- On Saturday at approximately 6:00 a.m., officers responded to a disturbance at a residence in east Winnipeg. An adult female was intoxicated, fighting with family members and violently smashing the residence. One officer was physically assaulted. She was ultimately restrained and arrested. She was charged with two counts of Assault Peace Officer and released on a Promise to Appear.
- On Sunday at 11:20 a.m. officers from the Guns and Gangs Unit came into contact with a male in the area of Salter St. and Burrows Ave. Officers attempted to place the man under arrest based on several outstanding warrants. The suspect began to violently resist, fighting with police. At one point he attempted to grab an officer’s Taser. He was safely brought under control and taken for a medical assessment because he appeared to be under the influence of an intoxicant. He was charged with Assault Peace Officer x 2 and detained in custody.
- On Monday at 8:00 a.m. officers were in the 1500 block of St. Marys Rd investigating a series of break-ins. A suspect was stopped and police located stolen credit/debit cards. As the suspect was being arrested he attempted to punch one of the officers. He was handcuffed but attempted to head-butt and kick police before he could be placed inside the cruiser car. He was also found to be concealing a knife. A 23-year-old male was charged with 12 offences including resist peace officer, assault peace officer and numerous court breaches. He was detained in custody.
- On Monday at 5:45 p.m. cadets were checking on the well-being of a man sleeping in the area of Higgins Ave. and Austin St. He spat on the cadets and was arrested for Assault Peace Officer. He was detained directly into custody due to his ensuing violent behaviour.
- On Monday at 5:00 p.m. officers detained a male in the area of Vaughn St. and Graham Ave. after finding him intoxicated by hand sanitizer. During his arrest the male threatened to kill both officers. He was charged with Uttering Threats and detained in custody.
In each of these incidents neither the accused, nor the officers, required any significant medical treatment.