WINNIPEG - Just after midnight on February 2, police noticed a stolen vehicle that appeared to have a woman slumped over at the wheel. Not knowing what was wrong with her the officers pulled their cruiser in front of her and woke her up to check on her well-being.
She immediately put the car in reverse, ramming the car parked behind her which pushed it out into the intersection. She then put the truck in drive and hit the police cruiser as she tried to get away, narrowly missing the officer on her way by. She ran into a tree and fled on foot but was quickly apprehended.
No injuries were reported. A stolen credit card was found on her and the following weapons were found inside the stolen truck (within reach of the driver’s seat):
- A machete
- A knife
- A hatchet
A small amount of methamphetamine (1.1 grams, street value of approx. $170) was later found on the female.
28 year-old Courtney Marie Friesen has been charged with:
- Assault a Peace Officer (x2)
- Dangerous Operation of a Conveyance
- Flight While Pursued by Peace Officer
- Possession of a Weapon
- Possession of Scheduled Substance – Methamphetamine
- Unlawful Possession of Credit Card
- Possession of Property Obtained by Crime Over $5000
- Fail to Comply Condition Recognizance by Judge/Justice (x7)
- Drive suspended/while disqualified (Highway Traffic Act)
- Drive without licence or with invalid licence (Highway Traffic Act)
- Driver Fail to Exchange Particulars – To Driver (Highway Traffic Act)
She was detained in custody.