WINNIPEG - Two police officers were dragged by a fleeing SUV as they tried to talk to a man who was trying to drive while suspended.
The two officers were on either side of the vehicle, talking with the occupants when the driver suddenly put the SUV in reverse and accelerated.
Both officers were dragged, including one whose arm was held by the passenger of the vehicle. The SUV then struck a nearby car and accelerated forward, almost hitting one of the officers.
The other officer was unable to break free from the passenger and jumped into the SUV to avoid being run over. He was then able to stop the vehicle in the area of William Avenue and Isabel Street at which time the driver and passenger were taken into custody. A search of the SUV resulted in the seizure of a loaded .22 calibre handgun with numerous rounds of ammunition.
One officer suffered minor injuries.
30 year-old Quentin Gerald Richard Bird has been charged with:
- Cause Bodily Harm by Criminal Negligence
- Possession of Firearm, Restricted/Prohibited Weapon or Ammunition Contrary to Prohibition Order
- Possession of a Prohibited or Restricted Weapon Knowing its Poss is Unauthorized
- Possession of a Loaded Prohibited or Restricted Firearm
- Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm in Motor Vehicle
- Possession of a Firearm Knowing Serial Number has been Tampered With
- Drive suspended/while disqualified (Highway Traffic Act)
Janessa Alicia Gordon, a 23-year-old female of Sioux Lookout, Ontario,has been charged with:
- Assault a Peace Officer
They were detained in custody.