WINNIPEG - Police arrested a suspected gang member after he left a gun barrel protruding from his backpack.
Police were patrolling an area near Cumberland and Spence Street mid-morning when they saw a group of men in front of a home that had gang-related graffiti tags on it. As they passed by they noticed that one of the men had the stock of a firearm protruding from his backpack. When they stopped to investigate the group fled in all directions.
The officers gave chase to the male with the backpack and took him into custody as he attempted to run inside the residence. A search of the backpack resulted in the seizure of:
- A loaded .38 calibre revolver
- A sawed-off 22 calibre rifle
- An airsoft pellet gun
An additional round of .22 calibre ammunition was also found on the male.
31 year-old Ryan Matthew Boulanger has been charged with:
- Possession of a Firearm Knowing its Possession is Unauthorized (x2)
- Possession of a Loaded Prohibited or Restricted Firearm
- Possession of a Prohibited or Restricted Firearm with Ammunition
- Carrying Concealed Weapon Prohibited Device or Ammunition
- Possession of Firearm, Restricted/Prohibited Weapon or Ammunition Contrary to Prohibition Order (x3)
He was detained in custody.