WINNIPEG - A months long investigation involving numerous support agencies has resulted in the seizure of 73 firearms and almost 70 charges for a Winnipeg man.
The investigation began in July when the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) intercepted a prohibited firearm suppressor that had been sent from China to an address in Winnipeg. The CBSA Criminal Investigations Unit notified the Winnipeg Police Service’s Firearm Investigation and Enforcement Unit (FIEU) that began an investigation.
On October 16, 2019, members of the Winnipeg Police Service’s Tactical Support Team, with the assistance of the FIEU, Guns & Gangs Unit, East District Station and CBSA, executed two Criminal Code search warrants at a residence on Almond Bay.
A suspect was arrested for possession of numerous fully automatic, prohibited, unregistered and restricted firearms along with ammunition.
A search of the residence led to the seizure of 73 firearms and includes the following:
- Heckler & Koch M1 Super 90 shotgun,
- Finnish M44 submachine gun,
- Sterling L34A1 submachine gun,
- FN PS90 rifle and suppressor,
- CZ Scorpion EVO 3 S1 pistol,
- Thompson 1928A1 submachine gun,
- Browning Automatic Rifle FN Type D machine gun,
- Kalashnikov AK47 rifle,
- Ingram M11 submachine gun,
- Intratec Tec-22 handgun,
- Glock 18 handgun and suppressor,
- Browning Machine Gun M1950 FN machine gun,
- Bren Gun Mark 1M machine gun,
- Norinco MAK-90 rifle,
- German Machine Gun MG15 machine gun,
- Walther PPS handgun,
- Smith & Wesson 637-2 revolver.
In addition, investigators seized:
- Excess of 10,000 rounds of ammunition,
- Approximately 40 prohibited high-capacity magazines,
- Three prohibited suppressors,
- Numerous exploding targets and pyrotechnics,
- Two body armour pieces.
Andrew Michael Krywonizka, a 41-year-old male of Winnipeg, has been charged with:
- Unauthorized Importing of a Firearm, Prohibited or Restricted Weapon, Prohibited Device or Ammunition
- Store Firearm or Restricted Weapon Contrary to Regulations (x3)
- Unauthorized Possession of a Prohibited Device or Ammunition (x2)
- Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm (x26)
- Possession of a Prohibited or Restricted Firearm with Ammunition (x10)
- Possession of a Firearm, Prohibited or Restricted Weapon Obtained by Crime (x26)
- Tampering with Serial Number of a Firearm
- Possess Body Armour Without a Valid Permit or in a Manner Inconsistent With The Valid Permit (The Body Armour and Fortified Vehicle Control Act)
He was detained in custody.