WINNIPEG, MB - Since January 20th of this year six people have lost their lives due to snowmobile accident across the province. This has prompted the Manitoba RCMP to issue reminders of snowmobile safety.
With winter coming to an end very soon, many snowmobilers will head out over the next few weekends for that last ride of the season.
RCMP is providing the following tips in the hopes of making everyone who rides a snowmobile safer so that they can get home to their friends and family:
- Know your abilities and ride within your limits. This will allow you to always be in control of your snowmobile.
- Use caution, be alert and slow down when operating on unfamiliar terrain. Always look ahead and be ready for hidden or unforeseen obstacles.
- Always ride in groups and let people know where you’re going, the route you will be taking, and when you expect to return.
- Wear the proper protective clothing, including a helmet, to keep you warm and to keep you safe.
- Be cautious of ice thickness when crossing frozen bodies of water. If you are crossing a body of water, please wear a floatation device over your outer clothing.
- RIDE SOBER. Drinking and operating a snowmobile don’t mix.